- gait belt
- Knock, greet resident by name and introduce self and title. Explain intended procedure and ask permission.
- Excuse self to wash hands and gather supplies. Give call button.
- Simulate hand wash and gather supplies
- Knock, greet resident by name
- place wheel chair parallel/or barely angled to bed, lock wheels, remove foot plates or swing away
- CLOSE CURTAIN FOR PRIVACY
- lower bed to lowest position and assist patient to dangling position - verbalize comfort, 'not dizzy?'
- assist to put on non-skid footwear, sweater if needed
- apply gait belt
- verbalize procedure to patient and assure understanding
- properly raise patient to standing position (bracing knees, blocking the feet - counting 1-2-3, patient pushes up on mattress)
- pivot patient and help to sit in wheelchair, lowering gently
- check patient's comfort and body alignment, re-apply footplates or swing into position. remove gait belt
- Unlock wheelchair, open curtain and move as necessary
- Wash hands
- Did candidate position wheelchair correctly before sitting patient up?
- Lock wheelchair before transfer?
- Remove footplates before transfer?
- Place non-skid footwear on patient before transfer?
- Provide support to assist patient to sitting on side of bed?
- Apply gait belt correctly?
- Ensure patient╬Ú╬¸s feet are flat on floor before beginning transfer?
- Assist in transfer correctly (pivot while bracing pt. legs, holding gait belt)?
- Maintain own body mechanics?
- Lower to wheelchair controlled and gentle?
- Position resident in proper body alignment in wheelchair?
- Place resident╬Ú╬¸s feet on footplates?
- Remove gait belt?
- Wash hands before and after?