- pen/paper to record
- Knock, greet resident by name and introduce self and title. Explain intended procedure and ask permission.
- Excuse self to wash hands and gather supplies. Give call button.
- Simulate hand wash and gather supplies
- Knock, greet resident by name
- CLOSE CURTAIN FOR PRIVACY
- Pull chair over - position of patient can be lying or sitting.
- locate radial pulse; count for 1 full minute (must be +/- 4 bpm of CSO's count)
- Continue (unnoticed) w/ respirations for 1 full minute (must be +/- 2 breaths of CSO's count)
- Pretty beds, lower beds, call bell, check comfort, open curtain
- Properly record noting any irregularities (strong, weak, regular, irregular)
- Did candidate support resident's forearm while taking pulse?
- Count heart rate for 1 full minute?
- Record w/in 4 bpm of CSO?
- Count respirations for 1 full minute?
- Record w/in 2 breaths p/min of CSO?
- Wash hands before and after?