Catheter care is same. Remember to verbalize checking water temp. Also
remember wipe three strokes at a time and wash/rinse 4" up catheter line.
- basins (2)
- towels (3)
- washcloths (2)
- chux pads (2)
- Knock, greet resident by name and introduce self and title. Explain intended procedure and ask permission.
- Excuse self to wash hands and gather supplies. Give call button.
- Simulate hand wash and gather supplies
- ck, greet resident by name
- Set up table, cover with towel and lay supplies down
- CLOSE CURTAIN FOR PRIVACY
- Raise bed
- Cover w/ towel width-wise acrossed waist area, remove sheet and raise gown
- Fan fold chux pad and place under pt.
- Using soapy washcloth - (Verbalize water temp)
- Use 3 strokes from cleanest to dirtiest, always using a clean part of the washcloth for each wipe:
- (3) middle
- (3) side
- (3) top
- Using Rinse washcloth - (verbalize water temp)
Same (3) middle (3) side and top
- Pat dry
- Roll patient onto side (facing away from you) keeping covered.
- Using soapy washcloth
Use 3 strokes from cleanest to dirtiest (vag to anus)
Always using a clean part of the washcloth for each wipe
- Rinse - same way
- Pat dry
- Remove chux and replace with dry chux
- Cover w/ gown and remove towel. Cover with blanket
- Pretty beds, lower beds, call bell, check comfort, open curtain
- ather laundry/ and supplies (donÎéÎ÷t touch scrubs)
- Empty and clean basins and return to proper place.
- Did candidate pass over 'urinary meatus' with 1st stroke of washcloth?
- Change spot on washcloth each stroke?
- Pat dry?