The handwashing skill is requried for any other skill.
- Push your watch and sleeves up your arm 4-5 inches.
- Stand away from the sink so your clothes do not touch the sink.
Do not touch the inside of the sink at any time.
- Turn on water and adjust temp.
- Keep hands below wrists.
- Apply soap, interlace fingers and lather 10-15 seconds
- Rub fingertips in palms to clean fingernails
- Rinse well.
- Dry hands starting at fingertips, 'Candy-cane', throw away paper towel
- With a new paper towel, turn off faucet and then throw away paper towel.
Hand washing and cleaning underneath nails w/ and orange stick and filing nails smooth should be done first thing of the day. Subsequent washings will not include orange stick or nail file.
- Does candidate: work up lather cleansing front and back of hands, between fingers, around cuticles, under nails & one hands-width up the wrist?
- Provide cleansing friction for minimum 10 seconds?
- Keep hands lower than wrists?
- Dry hands w/ paper towel and limit contact of towel to cleansed skin surfaces?
- Turn off water with paper towel and dispose of paper towel?
- Complete task without contaminating hands, such as against the sink?