- kidney basin (marked for nails)
- towels (2)
- Nail file
- orange stick
- Knock, greet resident by name and introduce self and title. Explain intended procedure and ask permission.
- Excuse self to wash hands and gather supplies. Give call button.
- Simulate hand wash and gather supplies
- Verbalize checking water temperature
- Knock, greet resident by name
- Set up table, cover with towel and lay supplies down
- CLOSE CURTAIN FOR PRIVACY
- Raise bed, position pt. as dangling
- Begin w/ soaking fingernails
- Brush hair
- Orange stick under nails & cuticles
- File nails
- Lotion massage hands pat dry if needed
- Reposition pt. to sitting or lying as desired
- Pretty beds, lower beds, call bell, check comfort, open curtain
- Return clean/disinfected kidney basin, brush, nail file, lotion & orange stick to bedside
- Clean up dirty linens
- Wash hands
- Did Candidate verbalize safe water temperature?
- Remove residue from under nails?
- Dry hands after soaking?
- Leave nails smooth w/o jagged edges?
- Apply lotion?
- Clean and store equipment leaving work area tidy?
- Wash hands before and after?