- (3) pillows (3)
- Towel (to cover table top)
- Knock, greet resident by name and introduce self and title. Explain intended procedure and ask permission.
- Excuse self to wash hands and gather supplies. Give call button.
- Simulate hand wash and gather supplies
- Knock, greet resident by name
- Set up table, cover with towel and lay supplies down
- CLOSE CURTAIN FOR PRIVACY
- Adjust bed height if needed
- Ask/help patient to move towards your side of the bed (so that when they roll onto side they are positioned in the middle of the bed)
- Roll patient onto left side facing away from you adjusting position as needed
- Pillow #1 Roll lengthwise and tuck under back to prevent patient from rolling onto back
- Move to opposite side of bed, position patients legs so that top leg is bent 90o at knee and hips are aligned. Avoid bony prominences touching (ankles, knees)
- Pillow #2 Place flat between knees
- Position Lt shoulder forward slightly and at 90o to body
- Pillow #3 place at chest level tucking slightly to avoid patient rolling onto stomach
- Position head pillow to provide support and alignment of neck
- Verbalize comfort level
- Pretty beds, lower beds, call bell, check comfort, open curtain
- Wash hands
- Did candidate position and align resident to ensure safe turning?
- Position pillow behind back?
- Bend knees w/ pillow between?
- Avoid pressure points/bony prominences?
- Adjust Lt. shoulder to avoid pressure?
- Position head pillow to provide comfort & support of head?
- Provide pillow to support Rt. arm?
- Wash hands before and after