- kidney basin (marked for oral use)
- water glass w/ water and straw if needed
- washcloth for wiping patient╬Ú╬¸s mouth
- shirt protector
- hand towel (to cover table top)
- Knock, greet resident by name and introduce self and title. Explain intended procedure and ask permission.
- Excuse self to wash hands and gather supplies. Give call button.
- Simulate hand wash and gather supplies
- Knock, greet resident by name
- Set up table, cover with towel and lay supplies down
- CLOSE CURTAIN FOR PRIVACY
- Raise the head of the bed to 45 degree, adjusting the bed height as needed
- place shirt protector on patient
- Moisten toothbrush w/ water, apply tooth paste
- Offer water to drink before beginning.
- Gently brush teeth - offering patient opportunity to rinse and spit in kidney basin as needed
- wipe patient's mouth - leave clean and dry.
- remove shirt protector
- reposition pt. to sitting or lying as desired
- pretty beds, lower beds, call bell, check comfort, open curtain
- dispose of dirty linens
- clean and return disinfected kidney basin, toothbrush and toothpaste to bedside
- remove gloves and wash hands
- Did candidate protect patient clothing?
- Moisten toothbrush w/ water and apply paste before brushing?
- Brush all surfaces gently?
- Offer water to rinse and spit?
- Leave patient mouth/face clean and dry?
- Clean and store equipment, leaving patient room tidy?
- Wash hands before and after?